My research has received media attention, summary below:
- 4 Nov 2020 – I joined a panel at the Financial Times Wealth Summit on ‘Leadership and diversity- catering to the next generation, women in wealth and beyond’ together with Carolanne Minashi, Malik S. Sarwar, Dr Shola Mos-Shogbamimu and Elisa Trovato.
- 15 Sep 2020 – I interviewed Anna Sofat on ‘Building a Future Fit for Purpose’ for the WLTH conference.
- 15 Sep 2020 – We launched the Economic Equality Impact Group at King’s Business School. We held three virtual roundtables in the summer, focusing on the economic potential of gender equality attended by 18 senior leaders in banking (Barclays, Citi, Credit Suisse, Invesco Ltd.), policy (City of London Corporation), professional members bodies (Chartered Institute of Insurance and Financial Services), media (Financial Times) and the charity sector (Getting On Board, Philanthropy Impact). With aim to create a better, more diverse and inclusive future for finance, business and society. We now seek sponsorship for a researcher to work alongside me on some of our important research areas. If you want to become involved, please reach out. With your help we can create a better, more diverse and inclusive future for finance, business and society. We summarise our research aims in our report which you can access here.
- 11 Sep 2020 – Four years of the Women in Finance Charter. Live Event chaired by former Australia PM Julia Gillard featuring Dr Ylva Baeckstrom, Yasmine Chinwala, and Vivienne Artz. Jointly with Women in Banking and Finance and The Global Institute for Women’s Leadership. Read more. Our full report is available here.
- 2 Sep 2020 – I authored an article ‘Diverse workforces key for private banks to unlock female clients’ true potential’ published in the Financial Times PWM.
- 6 Jul 2020 – An interview in which I discuss diversity in financial services. Watch the video here.
- Sunday Times: Louise Fairleigh interviewed me for her piece on the emotional connection and personal control that banking apps create for consumers 20 February 2020. My comments include: “By seeing your money in front of you all the time you become more associated with it, whereas it it’s at arms length, you can pretend it doesn’t exist. The closer association means you have a stronger emotional relationship to your money and therefore it is a relationship that you care about rather than one that you try to avoid. And when people care about something, they tend to want to look after it.”“With cash, you hand over money – it passes into someone else’s hands. But with cards, that connection is lost, particularly with contactless. And for amounts less than £30, which don’t require a Pin, it’s almost like it doesn’t count, it doesn’t matter. But push notifications and the falling balance nudge us every time to be careful of how we spend our money.”“When consumers have better knowledge about their finances, they feel less financially anxious and more motivated to take action – to make decisions to improve their personal finances.”
- Financial Advisor: “Female Clients And Male Advisors A ‘Toxic’ Combination, Study Says” 10 July 2019. https://www.fa-mag.com/news/female-investors-may-suffer-when-served-by-a-male-financial-industry-45841.html
- I participated in a panel discussion on Funds Forum International in Copenhagen in June 2019
- Wealth Briefing: “How Gender Bias Shapes Wealth Advice, New Research.” 6 Mar 19. https://www.wealthbriefing.com/html/section.php?keywords=baeckstrom
- Portfolio Adviser: “Adviser biases risk short changing women’s pension pots.” 6 Mar 19. https://portfolio-adviser.com/adviser-biases-risk-short-changing-womens-pension-pots/
- Money Marketing: “Gender bias in financial advice revealed by research.” 5 Mar 19. https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/gender-bias-in-financial-advic<ze-revealed-by-research/
- FT Adviser: “Adviser’s gender sways their advice.” 5 Mar 19. https://www.ftadviser.com/your-industry/2019/03/05/adviser-s-gender-sways-their-advice/
- Professional Adviser: “Adviser gender can affect client recommendations – research.” 5 Mar 19 https://www.professionaladviser.com/professional-adviser/news/3072069/advisers-gender-affects-their-advice-to-wealthy-clients
- The Wealthnet: “The gender of financial advisers affects their advice to wealthy clients.” 5 Mar 19
- Evening Standard: “Biased finance advisers offer women less risky investments.” 20 Jan 19.
- TEDx talk: “She is not who you think” 15 Dec 18
I was delighted to attend the BBC News Channel Open Evening for female experts on 5 March 2019